Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Alvin Busic final letter home ~ 1865

Well, it finally happened. The war is over. Yesterday the Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered to Union general Ulysses S. Grant. We were required to return all weapons except those we brought ourselves, and we could even keep our own horses. I am sad to have lost the conflict, but I am glad to finally be able to see you all and eat something other than salt pork and hardtack. I am unhurt but tired, and I am so elated to finally get a break from all this constant fighting. It feels wonderful to know that I can sleep in and wake up to my loving family again. I'll be back from Appomattox Courthouse in a few days, so I'll see you then!

-Alvin

No comments:

Post a Comment

last blog post-heydi

Dear ivarene,  the moment we've all been waiting for is finally here. We've come to the end of this horrific war. I don't know ...